This year, the keynote speaker is Lt. Dan Choi. Earlier this year, Lt. Choi, a West Point graduate and Iraq veteran fluent in Arabic, announced he was gay on the Rachael Maddow show. Despite his valuable skills as an Arabic speaker as we are currently engaged in the 'war on terror' -- one month after his announcement, Lt. Choi was informed that the Army had begun discharge proceedings against him. He was one of only eight soldiers from his graduating class who majored in Arabic. Lt. Choi has become a major part of the resistance against the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy our government condones and is an activist in the support of other queer soldiers who often undergo enormous stress and mental health issues as a part of having to hide or deny a part of their identity.
You can learn more about him here: http://colorlines.com/article.php?ID=602&p=1
Here is the schedule for Pride Week.
Saturday, October 3:
* Intercollegiate Pride Dance ~ 8pm-11pm
University of Utah Student Union, Crimson View Room
Monday, October 5:
* Safe Zone Training ~ 9am-12pm
University of Utah Student Union, Parlor B
* Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center Open House ~ 3pm-5pm
University of Utah Student Union, Rm. 409
* "The Times of Harvey Milk" ~ 5:30pm-8:00pm University of Utah Student Union, Theater
Tuesday, October 6:
* Keynote Address, Lt. Dan Choi ~ 6:00pm-7:00pm University of Utah Museum of Fine Arts Auditorium
Wednesday, October 7:
* Student breakfast with Dan Choi ~ 9:00am-10:30am University of Utah Student Union, CESA Lounge, Rm. 235 * *Hinckley Forum ~ "Don't Ask, Don't Tell Turns 15: LGBT in the Military Today"~ 1:00pm-2:00pm, University of Utah, Orson Spencer Hall, Rm. 253
* "Queer Voices" ~ 6:00pm-8:00pm
University of Utah Social Work Building, Auditorium
Thursday, October 8:
* Poetry Reading with Thea Hillman ~ 11:30am
University of Utah, Student Union Patio Walk
* Gay-la and Silent Auction ~ 6:00-10:00pm
Marriott University Park, 480 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT To purchase a table or seats to the Gay-la please contact the LGBT Resource Center at 801-587-7973 and ask to speak to Cathy. Table of 10 is $650.00. Individual seat is $65.00 or $45.00 for students.
Friday, October 9:
* Pride Pet Show ~ 12:00pm-1:30pm
University of Utah Student union, Patio Walk
* "Ten Years Since Laramie, Revised" ~ 7:30pm
University of Utah, Kingsbury Hall Tickets available through Kingsbury Hall at 801-581-7100
This years PRIDE celebration is sponsored by: Queer Student Union, University Guest House, ASUU Diversity Board, ASUU Presenter's Office Speakers Board, University office of Student Equity and Diversity, University office of Student Affairs, Celestial Floral, University Gender Studies, B.W. Bastian Foundation, Marcia & John Price Utah Museum of Fine Arts, Q Salt Lake, AAA and Design by Amy Westerg.
If you need more information please call LGBTRC at 801-587-7973